Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pokemon Cards



So lately I've been in a real pokemon mood lately. I've been working on this creepypasta, I picked up Pokemon Platinum, and I've been researching new and old glitches which were completely unknown to me. So things have been really interesting to me... so I began to reflect on my past of Pokemon and the greatest parts of them. Looking back on all the games and stuff relating to said game; I'd have to say Pokemon cards were probably the crowning moment of Pokemon... or to be specific, Generation 1 of Pokemon.

The awesome thing about Pokemon cards were actually the things that you didn't know about them. Like when I was a kid, the Japanese cards, Ancient Mew, Charizard, and Gen. 2 were probably the biggest things in Cards. Hell, I remember at one point in time, I went to a Toys-R-Us during a Pokemon convention and I traded.... something... for a Southern Island Togepi. Something that was very rare and very valuable ( back in the day ), and that to me was very exciting; you didn't run into these cards, you didn't know where they came from and it was something special to have them in your possession.

My most valuable cards I have now are probably Zapdos, Allakhazam, and Ancient Mew.... Looking back on it, I really don't have very many holofoils as this all happened when I was in 6th grade. It's a shame too because as I reflect on these things, trading and collecting these cards was probably the most fun I've had. It even got me slightly interested in Magic the Gathering.

It's kind of a shame that the fad ended so quickly. With the saturation of Gym cards, Diamond and Pearl, and whatever other decks that came along; once the original series was ousted, I officially quit caring about the trading card game. I remember going to the mall one day and Pokemon Cards were like... 1.99 a pack, and I was like "Oh shit! What a deal!", so I decided to buy a pack and sure enough I got a Holographic Nintetails; this was from the original deck... EXCEPT it had a giant "Second Edition" on the lower left. This pretty much cemented in my head that this entire game was dead to me. I could no longer collect the original decks and considering the newer decks were not that cared for; they were worthless. This was a horrible day.

I remember my very first Pokemon booster pack. I got a Hitmonchan from it... I remember back in these days, finding an actual store that sold cards was almost impossible. I had to convince my parents to drive 50 miles north to some mall for, not a Booster pack, but a Deck Starter kit ( the ones that contained a Holofoil, a bunch of cards and energy ). To my knowledge only ONE store ever sold them, and they wanted like 5 bucks a pack for them. My parents were always broke so I never had the opportunity to get them...

Sometimes I have the urge when I'm shopping around at Walmart to just pick up a pack and see what I get. I know that I'll probably end up being disappointed, I'll get some worthless holographic card vs a more rare worthless holographic card. And I'll just get some nostalgic depression afterwards, kind of like I am now. But you know what? I think it's still kind of cool that the card game is going on. Something that I enjoyed as a child can be enjoyed by other children and hopefully the game will become popular again. I know it's unlikely... but anything to revive my old childhood hobby would make me really happy once again.

2 comments:

Locke Trufeld said...

I remember I used to collect Pokemon Cards. They weren't exactly cheap though, yeah, and I found some pretty nice cards too. In fact, I got some of the second generation cards from Japan early, and traded them for better cards from people around the place too, which is how I got my Charizard card. XD

If Vicki wasn't so busy volunteering at PetSmart now, I think she'd be still going to this place where people can play Pokemon Card Battles with each other. I only got to go a few times, and I didn't have any of the new cards to play, since the old ones got outdated and unbalanced (weaker).

Sidra Naz said...

Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. Pokemon kaarten